I woke today thinking of a G.I. Joe collection, always poised and ready for action, often frozen in the positions of their last orders. These soldiers are smart. Key facts supporting this conclusion include the following:
1. They know they are in a war and are always prepared.
2. They accept their orders with a minimal amount of resistance.
3. They follow orders to the letter.
4. They are always willing to attack; however, if their directions are to reconnoiter or skirt the enemy they execute without hesitation.
5. Just because they are at war does not mean they do not have fun; having fun together and with friends is a favorite way to pass the time.
The soldiers to have their limitations – they cannot think for themselves or even dress on their own accord. They lack basic motor skills and rarely take the initiative. However, we can learn much from them as we proceed along our path.
We are at war, even during the holidays. We are soldiers participating in the battle between two cosmic entities. Regardless of what position we are holding in the battle, it is critical that we remember God is in the middle of the same conflict; in fact, he is always at the heart of the battle!
In our lives and journey, the crux decision we face is expressing faith in God versus deciding things on our own. We can take the battle on ourselves, making the decisions as we see them, working for the best, and we will find that the enemy is all around us. Often the biggest enemy is our own self! Even when we look to travel by God trust, there are also those travelers who are looking to twist and turn us on our very quest to know God. God order's are clear; “give these people a wide berth.” (Romans 16.17)
God is looking to give us a heaven on earth experience. This does not mean everything will be smooth; we are at war. It does mean we can experience true peace and hope!